Job Title: IT Network Technologies Engineer
Location: Basingstoke – Flexible Working Available
The AA’s IT network underpins every technology at The AA, from our mobile app ensuring our patrols can reach our customers when they need us most, to enabling our participation on price comparison sites, and facilitating insurance journeys with our call centre operatives. The network is key to our operation and we need individuals who are not only highly experienced in IT Networking but also have extensive knowledge of the surrounding technologies such as cloud computing, security, and Microsoft technologies. We are looking for someone who is a seasoned IT Network professional who has an eye on the future and what emerging technologies could benefit The AA. The role is very hands on in a complex infrastructure, so we need diligent, customer focused people who are considerate of change management and risk to service.
This is the job
The IT network technologies engineer role encompasses third line technical support across all of the current data network and associated technologies which incorporates wide area network (MPLS), local area networks, Checkpoint firewalls, Riverbed WAN accelerators, Cisco Meraki WiFi, Microsoft Azure, load balancers and remote access technologies such as Netmotion and Checkpoint VPN. This role undertakes 3rd level operational support and delivery of new projects, produces detailed input into designs, incidents, problems, and changes.
Assists the IT Network Technologies Manager and IT Networks Project Engineer in delivering the strategic network roadmap as well as immediate tactical solutions. Working with our off-shore support team this role provides a third line escalation point for technical issue resolution as well as providing an onshore physical engineering capability. This is primarily a proactive technical role for data network technology within the AA, encompassing both design input, service escalation (troubleshooting) and working with and positively influencing the technical competency of AA team members and outsourced service providers
What will I be doing?
- Act as subject Matter Expert (SME) for data network technologies support/design and work requests involving data networks
- Contributing to the future technology roadmap for data networks, including ongoing refresh and enhancements of platforms in line with Enterprise Architectural standards and future technology direction
- Producing effective infrastructure design input and documentation and working with the IT Networks Technologies Manager in provisioning support and technology deliveries
- Provide an escalation (troubleshooting) role, input to RCA with Problem Management, and support any required remedial action
- Provide input and ongoing technical competence focus for improving the technical capability of the team
- Deliver patching & monitoring strategy for networks
- Assist with capacity management, planning and execution of capacity upgrades
- Attendance at Change Advisory Board on behalf of data network teams
- Point of contact for AA vendors/partners relating to network technologies,
- Maintain technical awareness of market developments in network technologies
- Provide on-site UK engineer capability for AA hosted equipment in our data centres and regional sites
What do I need?
- Proven experience in working within an enterprise wide data network function
- Proven experience working within 24/7 IT operational enterprise environment
- Proven experience in contributing to network strategy and design activity for significant network projects
Experiencing working as a senior technical expert in the following fields:
- MPLS & Ethernet WAN technologies
- Cisco routing and switching
- WiFi Technologies
- Firewall Technology support
- Microsoft Azure/AWS Networking
- Security technologies
- Riverbed WAN Optimisation technologies
- Remote Access technologies
- Zscaler ZIA
- DNS and DHCP management
- IP Address management
- Monitoring technologies (Solarwinds)
Other areas beneficial areas of experience include:
- Experience of future technologies such as software defined network (SD-WAN/Zero Trust Networking)
- Cisco ACI
- Voice technologies
- Microsoft Office 365 technology stack
- Linux operating system support
- Microsoft Windows and Active Directory and surrounding technologies
- Automation (Ansible, Ansible Tower, AWX)
As a valued member of our team, you’ll have access to a range of fully supported development programmes, designed to help you progress in your career with us. Whether you’re looking to grow in your current role, or learn new skills and take on greater responsibilities, we can help you build the career you’re looking for here.
We’re always looking to recognise and reward our employees for the work they do. Here are just a few of the benefits you’ll have access to, as part of our team:
- Discounted home and motor insurance
- ?Half price AA breakdown membership in your first year and free after 12 months, along with a 50% introductory discount off breakdown cover for 12 months for up to 5 friends/family members.
Plus, so much more!
Good conduct matters to us. Our teams are motivated by doing the right thing for both customers and colleagues, and in line with our values, we ask all our employees to act with honesty & integrity and respect for others at all times.
We’re an equal opportunities employer and welcome applications from anyone regardless of race, sex, disability, religion/belief, sexual orientation or age.
We hope to hear from you soon. #HeadOffice