Your new role
National Highways has a unique opportunity for a Knowledge Management Lead to join the Major Projects Delivery Services (MPDS).
The Knowledge Management Lead is responsible for providing leadership across National Highways Major Projects (MP) directorate, making the most of its knowledge management assets to deliver best value, compliance and consistency.
Within this role, the successful applicant will be required to develop, design, continually improve and embed a Major Projects Knowledge Management Strategy for MP. They will need to understand and build relationships with stakeholders, working with the Head of Information and Knowledge Management to engage senior management, to drive sustainable engagement and embedment of the strategy across MP.
Additional responsibilities will include identifying and driving best practice for knowledge management within the MP Directorate; to deliver an effective service to our customers and stakeholders and continuous improvement in delivery of programmes and projects. Undertaking research and external benchmarking from across government, infrastructure and transport sectors, to inform the development of Knowledge Management is also a large part of the role.
What you’ll be leading on
- Lead as the MPDS subject matter adviser for Knowledge Management and provide support to the Head of Information and Knowledge Management.
- Lead the engagement of stakeholders across the company to obtain a strong understanding of business needs, to promote MP knowledge management objectives and solutions, to identify key areas for improvement and to share best practice.
- Drive the implementation of a knowledge management strategy that allows MP to be flexible, agile and capable of operating at pace while retaining assurance and governance.
- Lead the development and evolution of a Knowledge Bank platform (currently built in SharePoint) accessible to all in MP (including our supply chain). Working closely with the Head of Information and Knowledge Management, MP Programmes, Project Teams and other internal stakeholders.
- Engage with other industry subject matter advisors and APM to establish a benchmarking position.
- Direct as required training, presentations and workshops to promote knowledge sharing and best practice techniques.
- Manage the scope and design of trend analysis reporting, and use analysis to inform future knowledge strategy development
- Promote knowledge sharing and learning lessons across programme and project teams.
- Act as an ambassador for MP sharing knowledge, ensuring the business is aware of the knowledge management resource available to support them.
- Assess safety performance to minimise risks, develop improvements and escalate issues with relevant authorities in a timely manner.
To be successful you’ll need
- Strong experience of developing and implementing a management strategy.
- Experience of delivering tangible improvements, embedding best practice and achieving measurable business benefits.
- Experience of generating ideas, insights and lessons within and between programmes and projects to improve performance and delivery.
- Experience of operating and influencing at senior levels across a matrix organisational structure.
- Experience of driving changes to culture and behaviour, delivering at higher levels of engagement.
Functional / Technical Skills
- A relevant project or programme level qualification such as APM Project Foundation, Foundation for Managing Successful Programmes, APMG Change Management, P3O or P3M3, or equivalent – desirable
- An understanding of knowledge management and continuous improvement systems – essential
- Workshop design, organisation and facilitation skill – essential
A bit about us
The Major Projects Delivery Services (MPDS) purpose is to make successful delivery outcomes possible through business level controls, developing professions and capability, maximising innovative thinking and being a critical friend.
Why you should join us
At Highways England we believe in a connected country. We are passionate about creating a culture where colleagues feel connected, included and enjoy greater wellbeing to achieve this. We’re proud that as an organisation we are continually striving to do better and actively encourage and support our colleagues to do the same with their careers.
So, if you put safety first, take ownership of your work, show passion for what you do, work effectively in a team, and demonstrate integrity in how you do it – then you’ll be a great fit for our organisation
And finally, we reserve the right to close before the advertised closing date, so we recommend completing your application as soon as possible.