Job Title: Litigation Assistant – Route to Training Contract
Location: Northenden, Manchester
Salary: GBP19,000 per annum
Job type: Full time, Permanent
Hours: 8:30am-5:30pm Monday-Thursday and 8:30am to 5pm Friday
At Express, we pride ourselves in the work we do helping injured people. We are a top 200 Law Company that specialises in personal injury. We cover every area of personal injury including public liability, occupier’s liability, road traffic accidents, employer’s liability, industrial disease, serious injuries and clinical negligence matters. The first step on this journey is the position of Litigation Assistant in one of our Departments (OL/PL, EL, RTA, and Consumer Claims). We currently have positions available in OL/PL, RTA and EL.
We see the Litigation Assistant role as a steppingstone towards even greater things – to SQE degree apprenticeship or Training Contract. We are looking for people who, with further investment by us, will make excellent litigation lawyers. We have 29 Trainee Solicitors undertaking a combination of the traditional route via LPC as well as a further 8 undertaking the SQE Degree Apprenticeship.
- Chasing by telephone e.g. medical records, police reports, engineer assessments, client statements.
- Detail checking. Making sure the initial attendance is accurate. Keeping the case management file fully up to date.
- Client care
- Document analysis. Research, review of expert reports, review of denials, quantum reviews, drafting of court documentation, attending applications, attending conferences, taking notes.
- Witness statements
- Weekly reviews with supervisors.
- Four monthly appraisals to discuss you and your career.
- Task management. You will be supporting a lawyer and their clients.
- Case progression
- We are looking for people who have strong legal academic achievement (LLB, LLM, LPC, GDL). Usually this will be in tandem with relevant work experience, to show a desire for helping injured people as well as strong commercial acumen.
- We are looking for people with the right attitude, who want to learn and progress.
- We are looking for people who show professionalism, maturity and aptitude for client care and ability to deal with pressure. This is an autonomous role where you will be expected to take responsibility for the tasks in your remit.
- We are looking for our Trainee Solicitors of the future, so we need to see the correct skills. We offer an uncapped number of Trainee Solicitors, and we offer rolling admittance dates throughout the year.
What we can offer you:
- Personal Injury Academy – Within 6 months of starting at Express Solicitors, we offer bespoke training on black letter law and soft skills. This will be a solid foundation to progress in the role.
- Thereafter you will have further in-depth training on Personal Injury litigation modules throughout your journey to a training contract.
- Our trainers include 2 Partners with over 62 years combined PQE gained in Personal Injury litigation, as well as an IT Trainer and a Soft Skills Trainer.
We always endeavour to recruit and retain the best staff around. To do so, we offer competitive remuneration packages, ongoing training and development opportunities and a wide variety of exciting and challenging work. Additionally, we also offer the following:
- 23 days holiday, rising 1 day per year to 26 days, plus bank/public hols. 3 of these days are reserved for the Christmas office closure.
- 3 holiday buy backs per year after 1 year of service
- Private medical insurance available after 2 years’ service
- Life Assurance – 2 x salary based on annual salary only – eligibility commences when you join the Company
- Salary sacrifice pension scheme, in addition to auto-enrolment option.
- Active social committee, Company pays for trips to e.g. Bowling, Quiz Night, Christmas party, Summer Barbecue plus in-team events such as Escape Rooms, Junkyard Golf etc
- Employee Assistance Programme
- Strong track record of training and promotions throughout the Company.
Please click on the APPLY button to send your CV and Cover Letter for this role.
Candidates with the relevant experience or job titles of; Junior Paralegal, Trainee Solicitor, Legal Assistant, Litigation Assistant, Legal Executive, Legal Support Assistant, Paralegal, Legal Executive, Legal Handler, Legal Secretary, Legal Aid will also be considered for this role.